Tuesday, September 13, 2011

“Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes."-- Clare Boothe Luce

Whether you are young and immature or older and aging beautifully.... Whether you have children or you're stand in parents to lots of little ones... Whether you graduated high school or you received your doctorate... Whether you pray everyday or only hit your knees in times of uncertainty.... Whether you fight for your country or support those that do... Whether you have disposable income or aren't really sure where your next meal is coming from..... Every single day the sun rises to new beginnings and a new chance to live out your dreams. Are you making the best of each day? Are you fighting, not only for yourself, but for future generations so that they may be successful?

To be a successful woman in the world today means sometimes having to do it all. When I think about all of those who have come before me, I feel honored to be a woman. Everyday, strong women like Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony and Alice Paul fought the unenviable fight for women's rights. They endured immeasurable pain and torture as they pressed forward as an unstoppable and unyielding force to make sure future generations had a shot at something better. As the sun set on August 26, 1920, the end of a very lengthy battle favored women's rights issues as the 19th amendment was added to the United States constitution, granting women the right to vote.

So, why the history lesson? As long as the sun rises on another day, you have the chance to live your dreams. "The road to success is dotted with many comfortable parking places...." Don't let the idea of a comfortable settlement derail you from what you're ultimately trying to achieve.

I turn 25-years-old on Thursday and so far I have gotten married, graduated from college, had my first child, written and directed a film, written a novel that is in the process of being published and I'm now working on my second book.... and more often than not, things are hard. Every day offers new challenges and things needing to be dealt with. Every hurdle jumped leaves twice as many in my path needing to be overcome. Once one problem is solved there are thirteen more waiting to take its place.... Living your dreams is a horrendously difficult task which is why so many stand waiting on the dock while USS Dreamboat floats further and further off into the sea.

But am I stopping? Am I slowing or backing down? Absolutely not. There is an empire to be built and instead of sleeping, I'm blogging to you about living your dreams and making certain you understand that anything worth having is worth fighting unbelievably hard for. My future holds more films, more books, a fragrance, a clothing line, a multitude of franchises and a chance to create a brand for myself and for the financial security of my child. Though my future holds a substantial amount of hard work and sacrifice, I'm not afraid. For those who have gone before me have sacrificed far greater than I will ever have too, so that I may never know what that felt like.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 

Rest assured that women have the power to change the world..... will you live your dreams and fight for your own success, whatever that may be, so that future generations will know they can have it all? 

As always,



XOXO... <3 Jennifer <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment